Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Marinara Sauce







Over the years I became lazy and started purchasing the jar spaghetti sauce instead of taking the time to make it from scratch, that is until Mrs. Chef was getting heartburn every time we had spaghetti. Since I love spaghetti and home made pizza I brushed off the old recipe and began making it again and lo and behold Mrs. Chef can once again enjoy spaghetti.

Ingredients

5 large tomatoes
1 onion
1 garlic clove
1 12 oz can tomato sauce
1 12 oz can tomato paste
2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)

Directions

Add 2 tablespoons EVOO to slow cooker and set to low
Peal and dice the tomatoes, onion and garlic (I have to cut the onion in large pieces so Mrs. Chef and I can easily remove them. They don’t agree with her and I love the extra)
In a large fry pan heat 3 tablespoons EVOO, add onion and cook until soft (4-5 minutes)
Add garlic and cook another 2 minutes
Place cooked onion and garlic in slow cooker and add diced tomatoes and Italian seasoning, stir, cover and allow to cook 6-8 hours
Stir in tomato sauce and tomato paste and cook for an additional hour

Optional
Add 1/2 pound of mushrooms

Serves 4 with pasta/meat and garlic bread or fresh home made sourdough and a nice glass of a Napa Valley Cabernet, Merlot or even an Italian Chianti.

Since there’s only two of us I was able to save the rest of the sauce for pizza the next night which I’ll be posting soon along with a recipe for sour dough bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment